Director (Self and Peer) Contribution Appraisal
Teams achieve the best result if all the members are performing to their optimal level and being utilised in areas that complement the skills each person has to contribute. A Director (Self and Peer) Contribution Appraisal provides answers to the following:
- Are you valued by your fellow directors?
- Are you being utilised in your role as a director?
- Does your chairman fully understand the extent of your capability?
Benefits of Director Contribution Appraisal
- Identifies each director’s existing skills and knowledge.
- Ensures the board is working effectively and efficiently.
- Underpins organisation funding of professional development.
- Supports improved meeting participation.
- Ensures that minor issues do not become major problems.
- Permits the board to have clarity on each director’s contribution and highlight areas that they may be able to contribute to.
- Supports APRA legislated organisations to meet their regulatory duty.
- Assists public listed companies to comply with ASX recommendations.
Theory Behind Director Contribution Appraisal
Based on Effective Governance’s experience in extensively reviewing governance bodies around Australia, an analysis of a Director’s competencies should consider four areas:
- Behavioural – The attributes and competencies enabling individual Directors to use their knowledge and skills to function well as team members and to interact with key stakeholders.
- Governance – The essential governance knowledge and understanding all Directors should possess or develop if they are to be effective Directors. Includes some specific technical competencies as applied at Board level.
- Technical – Technical/professional skills and specialist knowledge to assist with ongoing aspects of the Board’s role.
- Industry – Experience in and knowledge of the industry in which the organisation operates.
Sample of Director (Self and Peer) Questionnaire
Sample of Director (Self and Peer) Report
Please feel free to contact us if you have any queries about the process or wish to arrange a Director Contribution Appraisal today.